MHC strives to be an inviting place where everyone feels welcomed and represented regardless of their race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, religion, disability, immigration status or class. At the same time, we recognize that structural racism and oppression is entrenched throughout U.S. culture and institutions, including our own.
In our efforts to uphold this equity statement we strive to remedy these inequities and contribute to reparations of the people and the land in the following ways:
- We will continue to work to understand and acknowledge the institutional/structural racist, colonist, and white supremacist culture within which our medicine is delivered.
- We will work to gain cultural responsiveness to allow interactions and protocols supportive of BIPOC communities.
- We will work towards a greater understanding of the needs of our patients regardless of gender identity and expression.
- We will work towards a greater understanding of practicing medicine to allow inclusivity and full access for people living with disabilities.
- We believe the bodies of our patients need medicine from loving, non judgmental hands and we will strive to provide such care to every patient.
- We will actively collect feedback from colleagues and patients reflecting the need for further work to be done by our staff, clinicians and our business as a whole for all of the above statements.
To further support the implementation of these directives, we commit to:
- All staff participation in ongoing classes and training regarding racial equity, gender and sexuality and cultural appropriation.
- Annual financial contributions to multiple organizations that prioritize marginalized communities.
- $2000 annual monetary contribution to The Confederated Tribes of Grande Ronde as a voluntary act of reparation and to help them reestablish land requisition.
- $2000 annual financial contributions towards reparation of descendants of Albina neighborhood gentrification via Don’t Shoot PDX https://www.dontshootpdx.org
- $50 monthly contributions to https://www.acorncenter4freedom.com/